Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

We found a stray, tried to find their owners and no luck. Now

Customer Question

We found a stray, tried to find their owners and no luck. Now on of the puppy's has watery red dirrhea, is vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the stray puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are aware of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Timon
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He seems super depressed, doesn't want to do anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that this puppy is not feeling well. The most common cause for this is Parvovirus and this has probably infected all of the other puppies. If this puppy is less than 2 months of age, it is unlikely that Timon will survive this without aggressive treatment by your vet or the humane society. I would strongly recommend that you call the humane society since this disease is extremely contagious and the less exposure of other puppies to this, the better. If the other puppies are still normal, it is only a matter of time before they all have this deadly disease. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hate asking this but is it an expensive treatment? We already had one dog, watching our sisters puppy since she can't have dogs, and there were two strays. Also if they have their vaccines will that help protect them?
Vaccines are very effective against this disease so those that are vaccinated will be safe but it is still a good idea to isolate the sick puppy from the others. The treatment can get very expensive and most vets will be able to tell you if it is worth trying to save the puppy since, when they are young, this can be deadly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am so sorry but, due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls. If you would like me to opt out for another expert, I am happy to do so. We can certainly continue this exchange if that will be ok with you.