Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have PredniSone in 10mg I can't take it. My dogs Jr.and Norm

Customer Question

I have PredniSone in 10mg I can't take it. My dogs Jr.and Norm keep itching and it's driving me crazy and I know they are uncomfortable can I give them dosages of this drug. Norman weights about 15 to 18 lbs all muscle, Jr weights about 12 lbs. Norman is losing his hair and has ball spots from itching.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Prednisone can be used for itching and allergies in dogs. It's not a cure for the condition, but it can help with the signs. The dose I typically use for itching and allergies is 0.25-0.5 mg per kg per day. That would be 5 mg daily in the larger dog or 2.5 mg daily in the smaller dog. When using Pred, you should wean off the medication if it's used more than 3 days in a row. If it's just used periodically, then it doesn't need to be weaned. The other thing you can use is Benadryl. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Norman. How is everything going?