Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dogs were staying at this facility days and

Customer Question

Hi! My dogs were staying at this facility for few days and when i picked them up, one of them kept sneezing. After one day, the other one is sneezing as well not as bad as the other one. What do you think is the issue?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy and Lucky
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I know they didn't each much there, because they both lost weight. Since i got them back, they are eating well and they are pretty active. Sneezing is my concern. No discharge
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on their signs, lack of discharge and the fact that both dogs sneezing, this is highly suggestive of a viral (ie Parainfluenza, canine corona virus, etc) infection. Often dogs will contract this in kennels (as they share an airspace with many stressed dogs) and signs are usually seen within 3-7 days of exposure. Now as long as there is no snotty discharge (a sign of bacterial infection and an indication for antibiotics from their vet), we'd only want to monitor and provide supportive care. In cases like this, we can steam treat (ie shower steam, humidifier, etc) if they sound congested, use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist, Little Noses), and offer a soft diet to avoid irritating the back of the nasopharynx further.Otherwise, if they have lost a lot of weight due to appetite loss and their immune system fighting this opportunistic respiratory bug, you can try feeding them a bit more than usual or even offer a high calorie food option (ie Hills A/D, Royal canin recovery diet, puppy food) for the short term to get the weight back on.Overall, considering Buddy and Lucky's signs, history and lack of discharge; a viral upper airway infection would be our main concern. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor and provide supportive care as needed as their immune system settles this. Of course, if this lingers after the weekend or if they are sneezing severely, we would want to have a check with their local vet so that this can be confirmed and dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- decongestants can be dispensed to ease these signs for them. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )