Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a few puppies in my little over 2 week old litter

Customer Question

Hello I have a few puppies in my little over 2 week old litter that have developed loose to watery stools in the past day and a half. I've been doing research and have found many who say that over eating or overheating might be the issue. The stools smell bad and are yellowish brown with some white pieces that I have read could be curdled milk. They are all nursing normally, still gaining weight each day. All are alert and have loose skin so they are not dehydrated. I have dewormer that is suppose to arrive on Monday so that I can begin that. I just wanted to know if you think I should be concerned or have any suggestions on what action I should take if any.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't believe so, I've gone back and forth on being concerned but have heard that things like this can be normal and as long as the pups are alert, gaining weight, nursing, and not dehydrated it's not dire.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm not too concerned. Puppies this age can have some loose stools and milk passing fairly undigested. This is not normal, per se, but it's also not completely unexpected. If you can collect some stool, I would do that and have a fecal run. The couple things that could be bad would be intestinal parasites or worms- giardia, coccidia, rounds, whips or hooks. Dewormers take care of the worms, but they don't treat giardia or coccidia. Those are treated with anti-parasitics from a vet. With that in mind, I would recommend a fecal exam in the next couple days if you can. As long as they are nursing and gaining weight, it's not an emergency. It is something worth looking into, though. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. My plan is to watch them and if any puppy starts to seem lethargic, stops gaining weight, or stops nursing I will immediately seek out the vet. I'm thinking about giving them the dewormer and giving it a day or two and see if it remedies itself an if not I'll bring a sample to the vet. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
I think that sounds like a good plan.I would definitely give the dewormer as general puppy care.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had always planned to where the wormer was concerned and had already ordered it before this begun. I'm just waiting for it in the mail. I got liquid pyrantel so hopefully if this is just a worm problem and Giardia or Coccidia that'll do the trick. I know how hard those two are to diagnose because of the life cycles.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Yeah they can be tough to find. Giardia more so than Coccidia. Pyrantel is a good dewormer. I like to give it every 3-4 weeks until puppies are 16 wk old.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I know that for sure. We had to look at Giardia under a microscope in Microbiology and the teacher told us to not even bother and let her find an example on a slide then let us come view it. I of course took it as a challenge and surprised her by finding it. The class then lined up for my microscope and took pictures of it haha. I remember it took forever and a lot of other bits and pieces on the scope looked similar so it was very hard to tell what was actually Giardia and not just random matter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But anyways thank you so much for your help! It definitely eased my nerves and assured me I had the right game plan.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Nice work! It's always a tough one to find. We do have a giardia snap test now that's pretty accurate, but not all vets carry it. Just some food for thought.