Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He ate some planting mulch earlier. He has since vomited it

Customer Question

He ate some planting mulch earlier. He has since vomited it up, but is shivering, which he does a lot anyway. However, we do not know how much of the mulch he ate. He's a 10 year old Chihuahua mix.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Right now he's in bed with us, down by my feet resting.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I think the worst of the issues are over. The most we typically see with mulch ingestion is some GI upset- vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause some GI pain as it passes through the gut. I think that is what you're seeing now. I would just wait it out. Try to make sure he is drinking and staying hydrated. I would also take his normal daily food amount and split it over 4 feedings per day every 6 hours vs 2 feedings. Do this for 2-3 days to keep things moving. If he continues vomiting, then I would get x-rays to rule out an obstruction. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?