Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My friend's dog HANA has kennel cough. She stayed in our

Customer Question

Hi! My friend's dog HANA has kennel cough. She stayed in our house for a week. My boyfriend and I are now planning to buy a puppy. Do we need to clean the house? Do you have any recommendation? Do we need to throw away all the tolls that HANA played before?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: We worried about our new puppy, so now everything I need to know is how to clean up our house and how long can the virus stay in our house?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your potential new adoption!Kennel cough is similar to the common cold in people. The airborne organisms will be carried in the air in microscopically tiny water vapor or dust particles. The airborne organisms, if inhaled by a susceptible dog, can attach to the lining of the trachea and upper airway passages, find a warm, moist surface on which to reside and replicate, and eventually damage the cells they infect. As a precaution, you want to wash all bedding, use a diluted bleach to clean all toys and any flooring that will not be damaged by this process, and if you are able steam clean the carpeting to remove any bacteria or viral particles left behind. The likelihood of the infection laying dormant in your house for a week is very low but these added precautions should limit this infection in your new additionPlease let me know how else I can assist you today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Altman. Do we need to clean up the blanket? Do you recommend we adopt the puppy a week later?
Washing the blanket in hot water and a diluted bleach should be just fine. As long as you follow the recommendations above I wouldn't be too concerned about delaying the adoption but just using sanitary practices of washing your hands.Kennel cough is very common at this young age, as is a common cold at a daycare facility. If she does develop kennel cough, which I doubt she will, then it should be a transient cough of less than a week and if it lasts longer or is a productive cough antibiotics should treat it readilyPlease make sure you clean all food and water bowls as well as any door knobs you touched while the dog was in your home. You can purchase sanitary wipes for this or again the diluted bleach... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in to see if you have any additional questions prior to picking up your puppy? If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!