Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

She has a large bump on her left side of her . She is

Customer Question

She has a large bump on her left side of her butt . She is eating and going to the bathroom fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rolo and she is 14yrs old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She seem fine but the bump is getting bigger
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Rolo. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 - 15 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, Thanks for your patience. In an older girl, there are quite a few things this mass could be. It could be something like an anal gland abscess or growth if it is near her anus, or potentially even a perineal hernia which are much more common in older dogs. We then also have to consider whether this could be a skin mass (and there are quite a number of skin tumors that can occur in older dogs). Your local vet will need to carefully examine this mass and also carry out a rectal exam on Rolo to check that her anal glands and colonic wall are all normal. If all is fine and this mass seems to be a skin based mass/tumor, then for this reason, I would definitely recommend getting this mass checked by your local vet. The best next step here is for your vet to get a sample from this mass using a needle. This is a procedure called an FNA or Fine Needle Aspirate which is a quick, easy and painless procedure that can be carried out with no anaesthetic and Rolo completely awake! A needle is inserted in to the lump, a syringe is used to 'aspirate' cells in to the needle hub, and then these are then placed on to a microscope slide and sent to a pathologist for analysis. Many times a diagnosis can be gained via this FNA procedure. From this diagnosis your Vet will be able to tell you what needs to be done next, whether that is to monitor the mass or remove it under a full general anaesthetic. This is certainly the best way forward here. If she is eating and toileting fine as you say, then this isn't urgent, but do try and see your vet early next week for this follow up. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EBonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciatedIf you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.