Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a 10 week old puppy. He has lost his appetite and looks

Customer Question

I have a 10 week old puppy. He has lost his appetite and looks like he has lost weight. No vomiting. No diarrhea but his stool is runny. No bluddy stool. Frequently cleaning gunk out his eyes. He also has lost strength to move around.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your Chow Rott puppy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Your boy's symptoms are very concerning and there are quite a number of possible causes for these symptoms in such a young puppy. Although there is no vomiting and the feces aren't quite at liquid stage, we still have to consider infectious causes such as parvo virus and distemper. Hopefully your boy has started his vaccination course. Other possible causes here include anything from giardia, campylobacter or salmonella infection, to a congenital issue, and of course - intestinal worms (hopefully he has also had some all-wormer treatment for this with a product like Drontal or Milbemax). The worry about these issues in young puppies is that they very quickly spiral out of control. Your boy could well be dehydrated by now if he isn't drinking well and has runny stool. For this reason, if you can get your boy seen today - that really is the best way forward here. Your local vet needs to carry out a full examination and some diagnostics in your boy's case to work out why he is so lethargic and has runny stool and gunky eyes. For now, make sure he has plenty of access to water, and encourage him to drink. If he isn't drinking much, you might be able to convince him more with a luke warm chicken broth. Just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids and feed him the soup once it is cold enough. You also need to keep him comfortable and warm, and continue to encourage him to eat his regular puppy food. Please try and get him seen first thing tomorrow by your local vet if you can. For tonight, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.Best of luck with your boy and hopefully you can get him seen early tomorrow morning to follow up. Do continue to check on him overnight as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.