Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog had puppetry surgery , she pees but it's Ben 3 days and

Customer Question

Dog had puppetry surgery , she pees but it's Ben 3 days and poop action
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My dog had pyometra surgery
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she won't poop , it's Ben 3 days since surgery
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey and she is 12 1/2 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She is on medication for pain and antibiotics
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry your dog had to have emergency surgery. May I ask is she attempting or straining to defecate without production or is she simply not even trying at this point?
There are certain things to try but if this does not improve I do strongly advise a return visit to your veterinarian in the morning to treat her medically for this new finding. It can be due to the surgery and normal or due to the medications she is on so there are treatments depending on the cause1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin twice daily, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)Again, if this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure this is not related to surgery or medications, there is not a new issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issuePlease let me know if you have any additional questions. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good afternoon, I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your dog doing? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Hi Jose,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman