How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19331
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate poison What should I do

Customer Question

My dog just ate poison
What should I do
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Rat poison most commonly is made with Brodifacoum. This is an anti-coagulant that causes bleeding 2-5 days after the ingestion. With this in mind, you have a nice window to get treatment started before problems arise. I would recommend going to a vet to induce vomiting, give activated charcoal and then put her on Vitamin K for 30 days. With this therapy, I have yet to see a dog start bleeding. If it was Bromethalin, this is a neurologic toxin. In those dogs, I make them vomit, give activated charcoal and then watch them for 6-12 hours to make sure we don't have any tremors or seizures. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.