Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an 11 year old ship tzu who had kennel

Customer Question

***** *****, I have an 11 year old ship tzu who had kennel cough as a pup. We just got a puppy very end of 2015 a golden lab he is 44 pounds and they rough house a lot but Abby my older has started coughing and gagging and trying yo throw up for the last two days. If she is quiet then she doesn't cough but if we go for a walk or they start playing again she starts up. Today is worse than yesterday. I was at work all day and when I got home she started but now that she is relaxed she is a little better.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She seems to be eating and drinking ok. She is sneezing right now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Her nose is cold and wet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new adoption! Unfortunately even if your senior friend has had kennel cough prior, she is still susceptible to it if your new adoptee has picked it up or your Shih Tzu was exposed at a groomer or daycare facility. Just like the common cold there are many strains of kennel cough... There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situationUnfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition, with her senior age to confirm there is nothing more serious going on that requires medical attentionPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am signing off tonight in a few moments but will return tomorrow to respond if you have any additional questions...If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!