Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog has been trying to poop and cannot, what can I give

Customer Question

My dog has been trying to poop and cannot, what can I give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! So sorry to hear that your dog is having difficulties defecating. There are certain steps that can be taken to aid in this situation but if it goes >48 hours please consider a veterinary exam to assist him in defecating with medication +/- manual extraction1.) A high fiber food (more for longterm constipation issues if needed). This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 15-20 minutes will help encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin twice daily, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)Unfortunately I do not advise over the counter enemas, these can be toxic to dogs and should be avoided. If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issuePlease let me know if you have any additional questions. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!