Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My name is ***** *****. My aussie bulldog is panting alote

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My aussie bulldog is panting alote and is in her approx 61st day of pregnancy. We dont know the exact date she mated. She wont come out of her kennel. We want her to have the puppies at home. Her gums are pink. A smaall amount of discharge yesterday at 3pm. Is she in labour?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else do you need to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Normal gestation, in case you didn't know, is 62 days. Dogs can whelp any time in the 56-68 day time frame. It sounds like she is right on target with where she should be. The panting and nesting behavior usually occurs ~ 12-36 hours prior to whelping. This is also true of their temperature drop and sometimes a mucoid discharge. This is stage 1 of labor. Stage 2 starts when there are active contractions. The big thing now is to just let nature take over. She should whelp the puppies without any issues. If she starts contracting and there is no puppy within 1-2 hours, then I would seek veterinary assistance. If there is green discharge, that's another reason to seek additional care. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?