Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog (malamute) 10 years old is acting listless today, did

Customer Question

My dog (malamute) 10 years old is acting listless today, did not eat as usually....don't think he got into anything poisonous. Would very much appreciate your answer. Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: He ate a little of his dog food. Looked all over the yard to see if he vomited or found some other disagreeable things, but everything seemed ok
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really unless you have any suggestions..thanks
JA: Sorry, I didn't catch that.
Customer: No nothing else...thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. In a dog this age with acute lethargy, my main worry would be a mass in the abdomen or near the heart that is bleeding. We'll often times see pale or muddy brown gum color when there is bleeding. If you notice this, then I would go to an ER vet right away for diagnosis confirmation and treatment. Often times the treatment is surgical. If the gums are nice and pink, then it may just be some arthritis or joint pain that is leading to the signs. This is something that could wait until your vet opens. You could also try some Aspirin at home to see if it helps. The dose of Aspirin in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.