Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

A vet thought my dog had a URI. He did not. They gave him a

Customer Question

a vet thought my dog had a URI. He did not. They gave him a penicillin injection, a dexamethasone injection, an atropine injection and sent home temaril-p and amoxi. he's only 10 pounds. could he have a reaction to all these together? its 5 days later and his eyes are dilated and his tongue has sores and the edges of his mouth are red and swollen.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Playing devil's advocate, I have to tell you that unless there are other conditions I don't know about, only the amoxicillin makes sense for presumptive treatment of a bacterial UTI. The atropine can cause persistent but reversible mydriasis (wide open pupils) and the dexamethasone + the prednisolone in the Temaril-P could immunosuppress Toby to the point that a secondary infection arose around his lips. Sores on his tongue (glossitis) are curious and might represent a drug reaction (as could the red and swollen edges of his mouth) but with so many different drugs on board I can't know which one is responsible or whether a drug interaction is responsible. All in all, I'm unhappy with the way Toby was treated. I see no purpose to a penicillin nor atropine injection.Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of Toby's mouth to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/