Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I took my dog to the vet the other day and was told she has

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet the other day and was told she has proprioceptive deficients on her rear left leg. He told me she has a neurological problem. He gave several ideas of whAt it could be but would need more expensive testing to know for sure. She as tremors in Her rear left leg when she's standing. She walks fine. He told me I should keep her walking but I wonder sometimes when she sits and wants to go home. She is a 10-1/2 yr old lab miz
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Did your vet do any testing like xrays? 3- Is she on any medications?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5 months or soNo X-rays he mentioned doing spine X-rays but would have to sedate her. MRI too $$ but said that would tell him more but said treatment would be same tramadol and carprofenHe said he may try cortisone if current meds aren't workingHe Doesn't think she aware of tremors but I notice some days she hesitate with stairs or Doesnt want to walk far and has trouble getting upThink she has arthritis plus neurological problrm
1- Is she currently on carprofen and tramadol? 2- Just to make sure I got this right, can you tell me what would you like to know?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He thinks it's a spine/nerve issue
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I give meds to her when she having bad day. Started her back this morning. Guess just wanted your feedback and rather I should be walking her. My vet said I should walk her and keep her moving
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Think she may have to start taking meds more often. Plus I give her fish oil and glucosamine
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, I agree with your veterinarian about the possibility of primary neurological problems in the spine. However, dogs with arthritis of the hips can have similar symptoms. For this reason I always recommend taking xrays of the spine and hips with patients that present with these symptoms. If we rule out arthritis with xrays then we know it is a neurological disorder. The tremors you are seeing is the result of a combination of weakness and pain. In this case, I would recommend you keep her on Carprofen daily as prescribed by family vet. In addition to the glucosamine and fish oil. If she continues to have problems on this regimen then add the tramadol as well. As far as walking her, yes, I would encourage you to walk her. If you don't her muscles will atrophy making the weakness more pronounced. As far as how much, every patient is different. Once she is out with you as soon as you notice she is slowing down or reluctant to move that should be the end point for her. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If is a neurological problem can meds help.Will she get to the point where she cAnt walk and I have to put her down
It depends on the exact underlying cause. For example, if this is related a bulging disc placing pressure on the spinal cord then yes medication will help; in some cases we can even do surgery. But, if it is a degenerative disease of the central nervous system, this tends to be progressive and can lead to the inability to walk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If the degenerative disease How long does it take to progress to point she can't walk? Does it mean anything only being on one side so far?
There is not an exact time I can give you without knowing exactly what is the definitive diagnosis. But, in general it take months to years.