Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Helene my dog doesn't urinate out or inside JA:

Customer Question

Helene my dog doesn't urinate out or inside for days
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was a shelter dog I rescued him almost a month ago he is very shy does poop all the time but not always pees doesn't seem to be in any discomfort
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm not aware of any dog with a normal urinary tract that can retain urine for more than 24 hours. I would be concerned that Baxter has found places in your home to urinate that you haven't discovered or his bladder is atonic; in other words, he can't feel when it's distended and then know when to urinate. It would be prudent to have Baxter's vet palpate (feel) Baxter's bladder to see if it's abnormally distended with urine if you can't find areas where Baxter has, indeed, urinated.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.