Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

He is almost 14 and his back legs seem to be a little unstable

Customer Question

he is almost 14 and his back legs seem to be a little unstable as he is aboat 95lbs great pyrnese lab mix.other than that he is in great shape and doesn't seem to be in pain.its just hard for him to run and get up sometimes.what can I do to help him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I don't know that he is lethargic,its just hard for him to run.his name is bear
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: 8 years ago he was hit by a car and rf and lb legs were broke.but he healed fine
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. I am a veterinarian that is also certified in canine rehab so I deal with this type of problem everyday.Your dog has advanced osteoarthritis most likely from what you are reporting and although you may not recognize that he has pain....he does..... the reluctance to get up and run is how dogs show their pain..... so here is what you need to do to get your fellow in better shape.First you will need a vet visit and it would be best if you could find a vet that like me is certified in canine rehab as they have advanced knowledge about pain control for dogs.Here is what I would try with your dog:1. Ps-gag injections: this is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (and this is the generic form which is much less expensive than adequan and works just as well) These injections can be done at home by you and given just under the skin (SQ). Many vets believe this product has to be given in the muscle but that is not the case. This dose is determined by weight. This product helps produce normal synovial fluid and decreases inflammation.2. Dasuquin oral chews: this is a superior glucosamine/msm product that helps with joint support.3. Carprofen non-steroidal given at least once daily with the above two products and your dog should start feeling much better after a few weeks and have a much easier time getting up and moving around better.I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need additional help as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, ***** ***** rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question and I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB