Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My american eskimo keep coughing like something in his throat

Customer Question

my american eskimo keep coughing like something in his throat but coughs nothing up. does often then quits for a while. do i need to take to vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Despite the coughing, is he still eating and drinking normally? How long has this coughing been going on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
eating and drinking normally. been going on for at least a week
That is great that he's been eating and drinking normally. With it going on for a week now, it would be ideal to have him seen by your vet to make sure that a correct diagnosis is made and then the correct therapy started up. Could he have a simple case of kennel cough that is being a little more prolonged? This may be something that is going on and it may just need more time. Could it be a little more of a pneumonia situation that needs antibiotics to help treat? Could there be a situation of a collapsing trachea going on? Here is a link on the collapsing trachea. is one on kennel cough. can have persistent coughing if they are having some heart related issues and that would be important to help differentiate from if it is going on. These all are determined through a physical exam and then possibly chest x-rays. Hopefully this is the prolonged kennel cough and he's going to be over this soon, but it important to make sure it isn't something more serious.
One thing you can do to help your vet out is to video some of these events at home so they can directly see what you're seeing during their evaluation.