Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog ate some cat food yesterday. Last night she had the

Customer Question

My dog ate some cat food yesterday. Last night she had the dry heaves and this am she is drinking all the water she can find.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Madison/Schnauzer age 9
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She has always been on a very limited diet/Cat poop makes her very sick
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that Madison is not feeling well. You are correct that cat food is too rich for Madison's digestive tract causing a disturbance. The best treatment for this is as follows: Fast Madison for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes since the water stimulates the vomiting. After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved and Madison is feeling better, then her wean back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****