Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have an 8 year old beagle who suddenly has lost interest

Customer Question

We have an 8 year old beagle who suddenly has lost interest in eating. She stands but will not walk, and in fact walks backward. She yelps when I pick her up but when I massaged different areas to assess for pain, she had no reaction.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Is she arching her back? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Started last night. No coughing, vomiting, diarrhea. Is not arching back and no other symptoms. Seems to favor her leg a bit but on and off.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, as you may already know it appears Rosie is in pain. The fact that she is reluctant to walk and when she does she is going backward suggest neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve along the back or hip disorders. Could there be other causes? Yes, sometimes dogs with abdominal pain can behave the same way. Her lack of appetite and lethargy are directly related to not feeling well. In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having Rosie seen this morning by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If attending veterinarian confirms a pinched nerve she will be started on prescription pain killing and anti inflammatory medication. Do Not give over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!