Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 7 month old Pitbull mixed with American Bulldog.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 7 month old Pitbull mixed with American Bulldog. She just recently started breaking out in hives all over her body and has been licking/scratching them constantly. On the top of her forehead, she has a rash like area where it has started to bleed a little.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her mouth is red and inflammed Bella
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has this been present?Has she eaten anything odd or new foods/treats since this started?Anything new being used at home (ie sprays, powders, laundry soap, etc)?Any breathing changes?Does any of the rash look like pimples or pustules?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It started up about an hour ago. My friend accidentally dropped a snack that had bread and cheese in it and she ate it, but nothing other than that. She's eaten cheese before and has never broken out like this.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing new at home. No breathing changes but her mouth is inflamed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't tell if they're pimple like or pustule so i will send a picture
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can i somehow send pictures
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Generally speaking, bread/cheese doesn't usually trigger allergic reactions in dogs. Instead, if there is nothing changed in the house and she hasn't eaten anything else; we'd have to be wary of a possible insect bite reaction or pollen/outside irritant.In any case, if she is breathing comfortably, we can take some steps to try to allay this for her. To start, we can start her on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ at a dose of 0.5-2 mg per pound of her body every 8 hours. If it is a mild reaction, this can just be enough to reduce that allergic reaction. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Otherwise, you are very welcome to post your photo (you can use the paperclip icon over your text box or post it anywhere and send me a link) and I will have a look at that for you. Otherwise, we'd want to salt water bathe those irritated areas +/- apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to just soothe the reaction and its itchiness as the antihistamine kicks in. Of course, if her signs linger or she is having a severe reaction, we'd want her local vet to treat with injectable long acting steroids to nip this in the bud. All the best and I will keep an eye out for your photos,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )