Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I m not sure if he ate something that might be causing a blockage.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: jack 7 years old Chihuahua
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he has not had a bowl movement which is unusual. He looks uncomfortable like a belly ache but not really in pain.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are you only seeing a lack of stool? when did he last go? Is he straining like he needs to go?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Has he been chewing anything? Any access to bones, toys, plants, or chemicals?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No he is eating and drinking. he only has discomfort, like an upset stomach...I do feel fluid moving when I put my hand on his side. He went to bathroom yesterday evening. He eats like a pig...he is food motivated. He usually has a cast iron stomach, he is sleeping now. I am assuming if he has a blockage, he would be really upset or moaning? I felt his stomach and sides and he did not move or show any signs of pain. No straining, just seems to be avoiding a bowel movement.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,First, I have to note that blockage cases aren't always overly painful and appreciable. Sometimes they are subtle and dogs don't give any overt signs. That said, if it has been <24 hours since he last passed stool, this doesn't readily support a blockage. Also if we are hearing increased gut noise and he is a bit uncomfortable in his stomach, this could be due to a GI upset instead. Or if he seems to be avoiding going, that does also raise concerns of possible back/hip/anal glandpain (where they try to avoid squatting because its sore). With all this in mind, since Jack isn't showing obvious signs and if there is nothing inedible missing, we can try some supportive care to see if we can soothe this for him and get stool passing. To start, to offset any stomach upset, we can try him with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose you can add some fiber (ie all bran, canned pumpkin) +/- a dose of cat hairball treatment. The former can help restore fecal regularity and push anything in the gut through. Otherwise, the hairball treatment will lubricate the gut and help anything present (or even firm feces he is too sore to pass) just slip out a bit easier for him. So, we'd want to use those and see if we can get him passing stool and settled. Of course, if he doesn't respond over today or does show any more soreness or does strain; then we'd want to have a check with his vet just to make sure there is nothing present that he isn't keen to tell us about. And while they check that, they can also feel his gut to make sure he's not constipated, provide an enema if he is, empty his anal glands,and/or start pain relief if that back end is a bit sore to address that all for him as needed. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me &ndash; I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )