Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

My dog is diabetic was out last night and gave him shot when

Customer Question

My dog is diabetic was out last night and gave him shot when got home at 12:00am want to know how to get him back on 8-8 schedule?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sampson 7 yrs old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has your dog has been on insulin for? Which insulin is Sampson on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
45 days Humulin
Okay thanks for the additional information. Usually with insulin as long as Sampson is doing well with his Insulin you probably have an hour flexibility on when you can give the insulin. This means you can probably be okay giving the Insulin 11 hours apart. So the best way to get back on a 8-8 schedule is to give the dose of insulin at 11 pm tonight then 11 hours later and so on until you get back to the 8 o'clock hour. Then you can continue to give it 12 hours a part as before.
Let me know if you have any further questions