Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog 9.5 months,40 lb. doberman/shepard mix ate 7 days of

Customer Question

My dog 9.5 months,40 lb. doberman/shepard mix ate 7 days of armour thyroid 45mg dose.
she may or may not have eaten but container is empty and chewed up it may have happened any time between 8am this morning and now. She seems completely ok. Should I take any action?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello Deborah,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will I see your response on this page?
Sure, it will be visible here shortly, I am typing it up now ... Regards, ***** *****
Hello again DeborahI have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Where a dog has eaten any sort of human drug not intended for it { No matter how non toxic } then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK 2. However even if you do not induce vomiting then things should not be so bad, my previous experience with Armour thyroid is that it is fairly non toxic to dogs and rarely produces adverse side effects of any sort, particularly in larger dogs, even when quite a few were swallowed. 3. But you never know so if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, inappetance and activity and restlessness, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Puka's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will stay online awhile and keep an eye on her to see if there are any side effects and if I need to continue our conversation/questions in any way. As I stated earlier she appears to be fine so far. Thank you for your response and I will rate at the conclusion of this interaction.
Regards,
Deborah
No problem, glad to be advising you ... Probably your dog will be just fine but get back to me if you need to ... Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Deborah,I am just checking back in to see how Puka is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Armour Thyroid tablets ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Deborah, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and hopefully Pukka has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****