Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My dog has similar simptoms he is dizzy, weak, drooling

Customer Question

My dog has similar simptoms he is dizzy, weak, drooling something green, droopy eyes, doesnt eat, hardly drinks water. Also i notice he stomach moves alot.
This started like 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Kitty hasn't been feeling well. I will do my best to help. I don't have access to the conversation that led you here, so when you're saying that you're seeing similar symptoms, I'm afraid that I don't know everything that's going on. I'm concerned about kitty based on your description of her not eating and hardly drinking. Dizziness is a pretty vague sign in a pet who is ill, as sometimes it's just weakness from not eating that's causing the issue. However, dogs can also get vestibular disease from a variety of different causes. Since it usually really requires advanced imaging like a CT or MRI scan to know what's causing vestibular disease, usually we have to just call it "idiopathic" meaning that we don't know what's causing it. When I see pets who has vestibular disease (severe dizziness), I generalize my thoughts into two big categories. I do my physical exam but usually the only issues I see are the head tilt, etc. I always look in the ears because a bad ear infection can cause these types of symptoms. If the ears are OK then I move on to these two: One is 'idiopathic old dog vestibular disease', which is a common problem in older dogs. The 'idiopathic' part means that we do not know why it happens. It starts all of a sudden, and usually resolves on its own within a few days to a week. Many pets that get this type of problem go back to normal in a week or two with sometimes very mild remaining symptoms like a head tilt. This is the most common reason for all-of-a-sudden onset of a head tilt, circling, and clumsiness in an older dog. I lump the other causes into 'brain problems' or central vestibular disease. There are some cases when it's obviously central vestibular disease, for instance if the nystagmus (the way the eyes jerk around ) is vertical vs horizontal. Vertically beating eyes = central vestibular (or brain) disease. Most of the time, though, it's not possible to tell a primary 'brain issue' from idiopathic vestibular disease except to either pursue further diagnostics like the MRI, etc, or to wait and see how the pet progresses over time. Typically if a brain tumor is present, these pets are NOT going to get better, but rather progressively worse, whereas with idiopathic vestibular disease, the pet is going to improve steadily over the next few days. Some vets use steroids as a general 'shotgun' therapy to decrease any inflammation in the brain (for instance, around a tumor) and also as an appetite stimulant. I think that the majority of these guys don't eat because they are motion sick, so I also treat them with motion sickness medications as well. If it's idiopathic vestibular disease, it tends to get better no matter what we do. If it's an ear problem (peripheral) , your vet would have seen this on physical exam and addressed it. If it's central vestibular disease like a brain tumor or other brain lesion, then you're looking at a much worse prognosis. We don't typically do brain surgery, and it's also difficult to biopsy a brain tumor to see what kind of chemotherapy should be used. Sometimes in the diagnostic testing leading up to an MRI, cancer or other major health problems are uncovered that also complicate matters, especially in an older pet. In summary, the most common issue is the idiopathic syndrome that resolves on its own in a few days. If it doesn't resolve, then you're left with the decision whether to pursue further (and much more expensive) diagnostics. Ultimately the best thing for Kitty would be to have her examined by a vet in person to sort out the root of Kitty's troubles. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)