Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I rescued two puppies from the side of the road, both girls

Customer Question

I rescued two puppies from the side of the road, both girls and they are 2 1/2 to 3 months old. I took them to the vet and they are relatively in healthy condition. The black puppy, Athena, had signs of worms in her tummy so they both got the de-worming liquid in their mouths. She was fine until yesterday (March, 31). she has not eaten since the morning of the 31st and when she drinks, she throws up the water. She is super skinny and I am very worried. She only keeps down very small amounts of water. She gets up now and then for a couple of minutes and then lays back down. Yesterday (March 30) she had explosive diarrhea, but no worms came out. Her sister is doing perfect, full of energy and eating.
Does she have parvo or what is going on with her? I am so worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for giving these two girls a home. I'm glad to hear that you've opened up your home to them. I'm going to be very honest and say that Parvo is absolutely on the top of the rule out list at this time for her. For any young dog that hasn't had vaccines that starts to have diarrhea and / or vomiting, a parvo virus infection has to be considered. This is something that can be screened for through a fecal evaluation with your vet. They can take a sample and know in 5 minutes if it is an infection or not. If it is, then they can go over care options at that time which range from outpatient care to being hospitalized. Could this be some other cause like Giardia or intestinal parasites still? That is a consideration. Honestly, the odds are that it is parvo given what you've described.
Here is a good link I give to clients to help them understand more about parvo.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Athena. How is everything going?