Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a golden retriever and her neck is swollen. I think

Customer Question

Hi - I have a golden retriever and her neck is swollen. I think she may have been stung by something. Can you tell me if I need to go into the vet or just give her Benadryl
Submitted: 1 year ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that your Golden has this swelling. Can you please describe where on the neck is swollen and what the size is approximately? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its her whole neck amnd she weighs about 70 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Her whole neck all the way around from behind the jaw to the shoulders? When you press on the swelling does it hold your finger impression or is it hard?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If the entire neck is swollen and hard or even what we would call pitting I would advise a veterinary exam. Typically when we have a bug bite, sting it will be well localized and itchy but this sounds completely unrelated and I would be hesitant to simply try benadryl and see how she responds. If it continues to swell it can effect her ability to breath and swallow and I would much rather address her status now than in am emergency setting

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 30 minutes before having to exit to see patients for a bit but will return this evening if I miss you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Golden to see how the swelling appears and would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman