How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19617
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate trail mix it had raisins dried fruits he has

Customer Question

My dog ate trail mix it had nuts raisins dried fruits he has diarrhea and is vomiting wanting to drink
A lot of water
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I have to say that I am quite worried about Titan. While his GI upset signs are concern, to hear that he has had access to raisins and is now drinking a lot of water is a real worry. This is because raisins are toxic for dogs and even one can cause severe kidney damage.

Therefore, with those signs, we really need him to his local vet urgently. They can check a urine or blood test to assess if he already has kidney damage. If not severe, they may be able to start IV fluids to flush this toxin out and limit the harm the raisins can do. At the same time, they can treat him with anti-nausea medication to soothe his stomach as well.

Overall, this is a very serious situation considering what Titan has eaten and this increased thirst. So, while we could give an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac) to soothe his stomach and try a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, etc) to soothe his stomach; we really need to be proactive, address the potential harm these raisins will be doing to his kidneys and try to prevent severe damage form occurring.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Titan. How is everything going?
nekovet