Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Is marijuana consumption more harmful compared to an adult

Customer Question

is marijuana consumption more harmful for puppies compared to an adult dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much did he have?

How much does he weigh?

How long ago did he have this?

What signs are you seeing thus far?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Less than a gramAbout 4.6 pounds12 hours agoDizzy,not walking right ,not drinking water or eatingHe's actually recovered and showing signs of himself but is there anyconcerns that won't show up but are still there him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in regards ***** ***** actual question, its not have marijuana is more harmful to pups as much as that it takes smaller doses to cause adverse issues for them. This is partially due to the pup tending to be smaller as compared to an adult but can also be related to their lower body reserves and being more sensitive to intoxication.

Now with that in mind, if he is 4.6lbs and had ~1g, this is a 0.5g/kg dose. This is much lower then our fatal dose but we can see adverse signs like GI upset, lethargy, drowsiness, wobbliness, and sometimes tremors or seizures. Now for dogs showing the more severe signs or becoming dehydrated from vomiting, we do tend to treat these wee ones with IV fluids for 24 hours until the drug leaves their system. Still, if your lad has had mild signs and the ingestion was 12 hours ago, we'd actually assume we have seen the worst of his signs from this. Therefore, we'd just want to keep him calm and monitor for another 12 hours. After that point, we'd not be worried about long term harm or underlying issues. And as long as he settles in the next few hours, we'd assume Hercules is out of the woods from this ingestion.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Belen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hercules. How is everything going?