Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a question regarding my 8 year old yorkshire terrier.

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my 8 year old yorkshire terrier. I recently had a urine test (preventative) and the vet told us that he needed a little more acid in his urine. He suggested a vitamin, Urinodol (we live in Poland). After two days of taking it today he had did not want to eat. Morning stool was fine, he asked to go out again, and this time he had one normal stool and then ate grass and almost instantly pooped again this time mucous and red. I wonder if it is the vitamin? I am very cautious of him as he has had a very sensitive tummy since a puppy and is on a boiled chicken and green pea diet. I have read that too much protein can cause urinary tract problems etc. I don't know what we should do? Should I keep the vitamins or approach a change in his diet? I have tried oats, and rice before but he won't tolerate it. He really is only good on chicken and green vegetables.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is best for Jumbles to have an acid urine since this will prevent infections. Since he has a sensitive stomach, decrease the amount of the pill to 1/4 daily which will help wean him onto this medication. In 1 week, increase this to 1/2 pill if he is doing well. Yorkies generally are picky eaters and when Jumbles is having issues, a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken will help calm down his tract.

The stool you see with the mucous and blood is probably a reaction to the medication but is not serious. The stool has irritated the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed, Once he is regulated in his digestive tract, this will resolve.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****