Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had s desexing operation on21st March, s incision is

Customer Question

my dog had his desexing operation on21st March, his incision is reddish pink, he has awoken and distressed, rushing up and down and can't settle, in an instant he jerks up and is off. He has growled once. is this an infection - its 11pm here, do I call my vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that your lad is having issues with his incision. If we are seeing these signs 10 days after the operation, infection would be our main concern here. Other complications tend to appear in the hours to days following the operation. As well, infection could certainly cause inflammation, the redness, and make him uncomfortable.

In this case, it is not an emergency but if he is very uncomfortable you can choose to ring your vet. That way he can be assessed and treatment can be started without delay. Otherwise, while antibiotics are prescription and would need to be dispensed by his vet, you can at least use a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) tonight. This won't remove the infection but can reduce discomfort and inflammation to at least help him settle until his vet is open. Of course, do make sure to only give this if he has no ongoing health issues, is on no other medication, and after food (since it can upset empty stomachs).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )