Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Dr. I have a German Shepard who is ten years who always have

Customer Question

Dr. I have a German Shepard who is ten years who always have been given the best of healthcare but through the years his nails have grown to look like talons. Obviously I feel really bad about this and it seems to be very uncomfortable for him. Is there a surgical procedure to correct this? Andy Masino
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.

Hello Andy, I'm Dr. Bob. Yes, there is a very common procedure to shorten overgrown nails on dogs. (You're definitely not alone in this!) Depending on the degree to which they've become overgrown and your dog's personality, a veterinarian may be able to simply use a grinding tool of some kind (like a Dremel tool) to trim the nails back to a healthier length. If Tiamo won't tolerate the procedure, a sedative, or in some cases, a general anesthetic, may be needed to allow this mildly uncomfortable process to be accomplished. It is very important to have this condition corrected because, besides being unsightly and uncomfortable for them, overly long nails can cause painful deformation of the toes and feet, in extreme cases leading to arthritis and permanent damage. Please let me know if you should still have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiamo. How is everything going?
Dr. Bob