Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

I have a pug with a liver shunt who needs antibiotics

Customer Question

I have a pug with a liver shunt who needs antibiotics sometimes for uti he is showing symptoms and i would like to give him some pennicillin that I have. I would like to know the dosage. the tablets are 500 mg, he weights 14 lbs. the tablets are easy to split.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he was diagnosed a year ago. we manage him with diet, when he has symptoms they include, licking, glazed look, restlessness. if we nip it in the bud... he is ok. if we do not, he becomes very lathargic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your pug's condition(s). Do you know if the type of penicillin you have is "penicillin V"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pen VK... Thank you for your response.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do the charges work. Does it cost per question?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. you are encouraged to ask questions relevant to your original question until you're sure you understand completely. The dose for penicillin is 10 mg/kg given three times daily for 7 to 10 days. At 14 pounds, he weighs about 6 kg. so the dose would be 60 mg per dose (roughly 1/8 of a 500 mg tablet. That said, penicillin would not be my first choice of antibiotics, however, and the advent of highly resistant bacteria makes the choice of antibiotics especially important these days.

The best thing for your dog would be to get him to your veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and prescription. This would be the case in an otherwise normal dog, but in a dog with a shunt like your dog has, it's especially important to be careful.

If you should have any more questions, please let me know.

Kind regards, *****