Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My four year old bichon poodle mix had a bit of blood in s

Customer Question

my four year old bichon poodle mix had a bit of blood in his loose stool after seeming to be constipated for a bit. My husband had given him some real bones yesterday. His affect is perky and playful but when he settles his breathing is sort of huffy; not constantly but it is not his usual breathing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

When did he last pass stool?

Did he eat the bones given? What type were they? Did he chew it to bits first? How long ago did that happen?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?