Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is coughing and hard of breathing, I think she has heart

Customer Question

She is coughing and hard of breathing, I think she has heart worms. I can not afford the vet treatment what else is available?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and ***** ***** mix and 7 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to understand that coughing and dyspnea (difficulty breathing) is not only caused by heartworms. A 7 year old Lucy might suffer from a simple infectious tracheobronchitis which could last for a few weeks and then remiss unaided, a sterile chronic bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulomonary disease/COPD), or cardiac disease in the form of myxomatous valve disease ("leaky valves"). Neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity needs to be considered as well. I understand your financial constraints but a complete physical exam including X-rays of Lucy's chest may reveal a condition that can be treated conservatively and relatively inexpensively. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?