Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We were out of town 4 dys & left our poodle with family. he

Customer Question

We were out of town 4 dys & left our poodle with family. he has had a diarrhea since Sat. Maybe from stress not sure why I fixed him boiled chicken & rice also some cottage cheese & scrambled egg, he eats good and acts fine. Can I give him some pepto bismo for this, not feeding him dog food. Don't know what to do. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sharon,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sharon

Sorry to hear Jasper is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes, that's fine, I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Also some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Another thing to try is live yogurt, this can be added to the food or given orally and can often help. You see some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day should be fine in your dog's case.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Jasper deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Sharon,

I am just checking back in to see how Jasper is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers