Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I also have a 6 yr old Cairn Terrier that had developed a small

Customer Question

I also have a 6 yr old Cairn Terrier that had developed a small cough. The vet gave her allergy pills for 10 days and no difference. I took her back a month later and they put her on another type allergy pill and this did nothing. She is now finishing up 14 days on Clavamox 125 mg every 12 hr. I have been religious with these. After 8 days she was only coughing or what I call clearing her throat (sometimes she will clear throat and sneeze at same time) about twice a day and not first thing in morning. Now she is back to off and on all day long. They said to now add a 1/2 tablet of benedryl once a day.
This has been going on now for about a total of 2 1/2 month. She acts normal and eats well and drinks a lot as usual.
I have been giving them NylaBone Dental Chews, could these cause a problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Maggie. Can you tell me, please, if the very important X-rays of her heart and lungs have been performed at some time over the last 2.5 months? Coughing of such a long duration suggests significant cardiopulmonary disease. Clavamox is reasonable. Antihistamines aren't likely to be of value and can actually exacerbate coughing by drying out the airways. I don't see a mechanism for the dental chews to cause coughing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The xrays are what the next step is.

I had talked to the vet about the heart, cause I read about that when I was researching.

I ad taken her in to see about getting her teeth cleaned and they couldn't do it till her cough cleared up.

She has a lot of plaque

I agree that we need to clarify why the cough has persisted prior to anesthesia. It's also important to note that infection in her mouth will spread to her heart valves and lungfields and so the sooner the etiology of the cough is clarified and treated appropriately, the sooner Maggie can have her mouth attended to.Please continue our conversation if you wish.