Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I am unable to get an appt with my Vet until next week so I

Customer Question

I am unable to get an appt with my Vet until next week so I am hoping to get some suggestions. I have a 25lb dog who seems to be sore when I rub his rear legs. The xray a few weeks ago showed ok. He was on about 10 days of meds for inflamation & pain at that time.
What dose can I give of Aspirin or other over the counter meds if inflamed? or would cold or warm packs help just as much? (FYI - He is on Apoquel for allergies daily)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Reily has this pain. Unfortunately if he has been on prescription pain medications for a few weeks then an over the counter pain medication will be contraindicated for 3-7 days after the prescription medications are out of his system. You can call your veterinarian for a refill of the medication prescribed as an alternative and they should be able to refill it for you today.

Yes, massage from toes to hips and back down again can help with pain starting with gentle massage then slowly deepening your pressure with each pass. Several times daily can be quite helpful in resolving discomfort as well as warm compresses- I prefer a towel out of the dryer which will maintain warmth for 10 minutes 2-3 times daily perhaps before your massage

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I would not advise over the counter pain medication soonafter discontinuation of a prescription one...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Reily. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman