brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog has a skin tag looking bump on her head. It started

Customer Question

My dog has a skin tag looking bump on her head. It started out not very raised at all and not it almost looks like an engorged dog tick but it isn't a tick. My vet looked at it quick and said its just a skin tag, but now she seems irritated by it and keeps ripping it open using the grass or her back paw. And she's shaking her head a bunch. I put some antibiotic ointment on it but not sure what else I can do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Since the lump is bothering Luna, we need to remove this lump even if it is benign.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

I highly recommend contacting your regular vet about this. If it is really small, they may be able to remove it quickly with sedation and a local anesthetic.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My vet said to keep it clean and only need to remove if she has any other surgery coming up
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

I would definitely send the lump out for biopsy though, so we can diagnose the specific type of growth. This will help us plan if there is an additional treatment needed.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Yes, in most cases we do not remove small skin tags unless there is another reason to be under anesthesia. However, since she is indicating that the growth bothers her, we need to remove it or she will continue to traumatize her skin. It may mean that the lump is a malignancy such as a mast cell tumor. These can get itchy and inflamed at times.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Luna is scheduled for her lepta vaccine in about 10 days. Should I go sooner?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was never big before. It has tripled in size.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the size of a black bean
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I think it is important we remove it before it gets bigger. I would schedule an appointment for Friday or Monday. In the meantime, we can give her a dose of Benadryl and see if it is just inflamed, or if it is actually growing that rapidly. How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She weighs 34 lbs. I will get her in Monday. I have diphenhydramine HCL 25 mg. is that ok for her?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just want to also be sure I am just paying the one time 19dollar fee for this? Thanks! :)
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Great, the 25mg diphenhydramine is perfect. You can give her 1 tablet every 8-12 hours. Unless you sign up for a subscription, it should only be a one time charge :)