Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My female retriever scratches more than any of the nine dogs

Customer Question

My female retriever scratches more than any of the nine dogs I have had, I tried flax sed oil and fish oil hoping that would help her skin but does not help. Her coat is great.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? is Athena on any flea medications? Is she scratching at any specific area of her body?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is on Frontline and it does not appear that she is scratching at any specific point

Okay thanks for the additional information? Does she seem to scratch more in the summer or is the scratching all year round? The most common cause for scratching in dogs are allergies. Typically dogs are allergic to things in the environment such as pollen, leaves, molds, or grass. They can also be allergic to food as well. She may need to be put on some type of allergy medication. Some of the most common allergy medication includes an anti-histamine or a steroid. There is also a newer drug called Apoquel that seems to work well in many dogs as well. You may also consider having an allergy test performed to find out what she is allergic to so you can avoid those things if possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Considered allergy but there is no redness or other indication at the sites where she scratches. Also she goes for hours when she does not scratch. She is very sensitive to any insect on or near her. I notice that she does not scratch when distracted retrieving tennis balls or watching or stalking squirrels. Perhaps just a habit.

She doesn't necessarily have to have redness with her skin with allergies. Just the fact that she is itchy may be enough to indicate that she has an allergy. You can try one of those allergy medications that I mentioned and if she responds then that may confirm that she does have an allergy. Otherwise if no response I would agree that it is a habit.