Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Had a female Shiloh shepherd spayed in 2014. August 2015

Customer Question

Had a female Shiloh shepherd spayed in 2014. August 2015 started spotting. A second spaying procedure was done 9/15 to remove ovarian tissue missed during the first procedure. There was some scar tissue present that made the second procedure difficult. A couple weeks ago she began spotting again! Have an appointment 3/31 with the vet. I'm concerned about a third surgery - there will be scar tissue from both the first and second surgery which will make the procedure more difficulty; also putting her through a third surgery. Are there any options other than another surgery - medications, treatments, lazer treatments? She is a healthy four year old. This whole situation seems impossible!
Any information would be very helpful!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Onyx. You've described the ovarian remnant syndrome and only complete removal of ovarian tissue via exploratory laparotomy is appropriate. Because she appears to be a difficult case - ectopic ovarian tissue has been difficult to find - I recommend that her next surgery be performed by a specialist veterinary surgeon as can be found here:

Be sure to have other causes of vulvar discharge ruled out - a stump pyometra (infection where her uterus was separated from her cervix), a mass or foreign body. You also can simply "watchful wait" and accept recurrent heat periods if Onyx is otherwise well. We ordinarily want to remove all estrogen stimulus, however, as it appears to enhance the formation of mammary cancers later in life. There is some question, however, if doing so at 4 years of age makes an appreciable difference in that regard because females spayed after 2 years of age have a sevenfold greater risk of mammary neoplasia compared to those spayed before 6 months of age.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.