Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog Sasha had a blood test with ALP reading of 243. AST

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** dog Sasha had a blood test with ALP reading of 243. AST and ALT were normal. What would be my next steps to take? My dog is 6 years, a bit overweight, seems healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning Johanna and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This chemistry result is only used as an adjunct to other results and since all other parameters were normal for your sweet Sasha, it is unlikely that this result has any meaning for Sasha. This may be high due to her weight or this may be associated with another disease. 36% of dogs less than 8 years of age will have a higher than normal ALP for no reason.

The best thing you can do for Sasha is to watch her closely for any other symptoms ...if she is normal otherwise, there is no need for concern. Any other issues, Johanna, recheck her blood work periodically to see if there is any change. I know you love Sasha very much, Johanna and you are worried. Chances are good that there is nothing wrong with your sweet gal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****