Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My four year old male dachshund has been acting a little

Customer Question

Hi. My four year old male dachshund has been acting a little lethargic. He's had a soft stool for three days and I noticed also has some swelling on the right side of his back, near his right hip. He's acting better today, but the stool is still softer than usual. Any idea what's going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for Woody is that he may have an unstable disc in his back, common in this breed. The stress of this will resonate to the digestive tract causing loose stools and this will resolve once we can resolve this other issue.

Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Woody jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. This may have caused this swelling that you see by an awkward movement. The best thing you can do for now as long as Woody is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Wait 2 days to give the aspirin since you have already given the prednisone. This is also a strong anti inflammatory medication and may be enough to get Woody past this. If this continues, then start the aspirin or take him to your vet for an exam.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****