Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Ears I have 4 small dogs the rat terrier has some darkness

Customer Question

ears I have 4 small dogs
the rat terrier has some darkness and smell to the ear wax like something bothering her ear and seems touchy.
is there something over the counter I can use to clean her ears and maybe get rid of this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Penny. I am currently typing up a response and will have something with you in the next 5 - 10 minutes or so.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks also is there a way to buy or receive my pets meds online? the Vets in the area are limited and the office help is terrible
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for your patience. This darkness and smell could either be due to the excess ear wax (as you suspect), or could well be a yeast/bacterial infection in the external ear, or even ear mites (particularly if she is VERY itchy). For this reason, definitely visit your local Vet when you next can this week if you can. He or she will check the patency of the ear drum and the external ear canal to ensure that everything is in order. If there is a lot of discharge, he or she may even want to take a swab or smear from the ear.

In the mean time there are several things you can do. You can purchase some ear cleaning solution from you local pet store. There are several different brands here including epi-otic and oto-cleanse. You need to follow the instructions here and be sure to give the entire ear canal a good massage after applying the solution (from the outside). Please see: http://hubpages.com/hub/Pet_Tips_for_Dog_Owners_-_How_to_Clean_Your_Dogs_Ears for more information on how to do this properly. Or you can find some of these OTC ear cleaning solutions online - yes: such as Epi-otic mentioned above: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Epi+Otic+Advanced+Ear+Cleanser-prod11109.html

You should also have treated your girl using a good earmite product such as Advocate (aka advantage multi) - normal advantage will not kill these ear mites. These things will definitely put you in good stead for your Vet visit and hopefully give you girl some temporary relief until an exact diagnosis can be made and some ear ointment prescribed.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Perry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Pet Doc