Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My ex girlfriend had a lab mix and when we broke up she gave

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend had a lab mix and when we broke up she gave me onyx. Onyx is seven years old. I have a vet appointment to get her fixed (to give more background to my question, when I found out it is unhealthy to have a senior dog unfixed) :(. The past month I noticed she was drinking more water then when I was with my ex. It wasn't a big amount more and made sense because she has been getting more exercise. About ten days ago she started drinking a insane amount of water. Then would beg to go outside to pee, and forage for more water outside!? Then starting two days ago she started trembling for no reason. She definitely isn't scared, it will happen when we are just laying down watching tv for example. After doing some research tonight I also noticed her eyes are glossy. She peed in the house today which she never does. And it smelt terrible, not like normal urine would smell. She has an appointment with a vet in five days to get spayed. I want to bring her to a emergency vet in the morning or set up an earlier appointment. I will provide an update as soon as anything occurs and/or after the vet visit. Sorry so long there is just alot of background info I wanted to share incase it helps, and not to mention she is the best girl in the history of dogs.
Thank you, Joe
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you with your wee one.I must say that I share your concern and am worried we may have a pyometra ( uterus infection) or possible a cystitis ( though possibly secondary to an organ or metabolic issue). Therefore, you are right to have her seen now. We'd want her vet to rule out the pyometra, as emergency spay may be indicated now. Otherwise, we'd want urine +/- blood checked to confirm infection causing those urine changes and make sure there isn't an systemic issue that we need to address for her just now.
Please take care and lete know how you get on,
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
please let me know how you get on. Dr. B