Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My friend's dog has had a cancerous tumor months, but was

Customer Question

My friend's dog has had a cancerous tumor for 6 months, but was told by her vet on two occasions that it was a cyst and would go away. She has just found out this morning from the same vet (who finally decided to check it properly) that it is a cancer! Does this vet have a responsibility to do the necessary surgery at a discounted price?
I should add that she also has a a severe anxiety disorder and is finding it very difficult to cope with having to wait for the surgery, even though it is scheduled for tomorrow. Waiting any longer than that would not be an option.
Please help! Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In medicine there's a difference between poor judgement and malpractice. In general, if behavior is outside the standard of practice - beneath the level of one's peers, malpractice exists. Poor judgement might prompt self-examination and remuneration for a customer. Malpractice should prompt recrimination in the form of monetary compensation, license suspension or removal. The steps taken to determine if malpractice existed usually involve discussing a case with peer review of the local veterinary association to which a vet belongs and referral of the case to the vet's state board of veterinary examiners if need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.