Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My pup Dottie has gh liver enzymes she went from 300 to 600

Customer Question

My pup Dottie has high liver enzymes she went from 300 to 600 hundred in one month she is a full blooded Dal .i suspected she had thyoroid issues and i eas correct currently she is on Thyroxine tabs 0.6mg x 2 every 12 hrs my concer is Copper Strorage i have contacted the breeder and she does not have that concern in her blood line. However Dottie is back to being a healthy Dal since her meds due to thyroid has brought her back to healthy weight and great coat and hardly any skin issues.
Why would copper storage be the issue with her liver.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you are concerned about Dottie but I'm very glad to hear that she's improved with the thyroid supplement.

The most commonly measured liver enzymes in dogs (ALT and ALP) are very nonspecific, meaning that abnormalities in these enzymes can be caused by a very wide variety of clinical diseases ranging from benign reactive inflammation to infections to cancers. There are so many different things that can cause one of these liver enzymes to go up that usually we don't launch into a full work up right away, as many of the causes are quite benign. Some vets will begin by simply putting the pet on a liver supplement, treating any other conditions that are obvious, and possibly discontinuing any medications that the pet is on that might be contributing. If the liver enzymes are very high, the pet seems ill otherwise, or the owner is really driven to get a diagnosis, then the next steps would be to X-ray and ultrasound that belly, run a bile acids test to check the liver function, and potentially sample the liver either non-invasively with a fine needle aspirate or an actual liver biopsy. Copper storage disease is truly a rare condition (in 10+ years of practice I've never diagnosed one) that requires a biopsy to confirm. If a pet is doing well, acting normally, eating and drinking normally, and has mild to moderate liver enzyme elevations, then there are a whole lot of other conditions and diseases that are far more likely than a copper storage issue.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dottie. How is everything going?
Doc Sara