Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Dog coughed up a large amount of mucus with quite a bit

Customer Question

HI Pearl, My Dog coughed up a large amount of mucus with quite a bit of blood in it. She just had a wellness exam last week with blood tests that come back normal. She has not been coughing. I am in school to be a vet tech and I listened to her lungs and they sound normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is almost 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Iggy?
Customer: No she has been a very healthy dog and has always been up to date on her shots and heartguard
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Sorry there was a delay in a response in your question. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did Iggy just cough up mucus one time or were there other episodes of coughing up mucus? Does he have any issues with breathing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has only coughed up the mucus this one time and has not been coughing since. I am in school to be a vet tech, and i listened to her lungs, they sound clear. She has not had any trouble breathing and her CRT is normal as well. MM are bright pink.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have been having a bathroom remodeled the last week, and there has been alot of porcelain dust from them cutting the tiles. I thought this might be a contributing factor.

Okay thanks for the additional information. What type of dog is she? So there are a couple of things that you may be able to rule out that could have caused mucus with blood. One thing I would do is to look at her teeth and gums to check for any bleeding or inflammation. Some dogs who have moderate dental disease may ocassionally have bleeding from the gums which could go to the back of the throat and cause the coughing. Another possibility could be that she chewed on something that irritated her throat enough to cause a temporary bleed since you only noticed it one time. Obviously if it continues then I would suggest further testing such as x-rays to rule out anything more serious.