Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dr. Gabby - my name is ***** *****. My mom gave my maltese

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. Gabby - my name is ***** *****. My mom gave my maltese some Sucralfare last night - crushed and mixed with water. Although it didn't fully dissolve, she spooned it into his mouth. He struggled and gagged on it but she was able to spoon the rest into his mouth. However, since then he keeps on gagging throughout the night. He finally stopped and slept but then upon waking up this morning, he his hacking and gagging again. When he gags, he is hacking up thick white saliva. Will this pass or should I take him to see the vet? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has stomach ulcers and was prescribed the Sulcrafate. I think that when the tablet was crushed and mixed with ater, it did not fully dissolve so he keeps on gagging and hacking up thick white saliva. He kept on gagging all night and finally slept but upon waking up this morning he is gagging and coughing as if there is something stuck in his throat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Maltese. It's reasonable to assume that because his behavior began upon being dosed, the sulcralfate has physically irritated his oropharynx. It's not until sucralfate reaches the stomach and reacts with hydrochloric acid that it becomes a paste-like complex that will bind to ulcer sites. This is a case in which I don't believe a vet's attention will be helpful. The tincture of time should suffice to normalize him and encouraging fluid intake by offering tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, and bouillons in an attempt to dissolve any retained sucralfate would be prudent.

If you didn't see a positive change in the next 6 hours, X-rays of his lungs should be considered. Although unlikely, an aspiration pneumonia may have arisen if struggling while being dosed allowed sucralfate to enter his trachea and reach his lungfields. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?